For this week’s Ask the Expert, I asked Registered Dietitian Elisa Zied, MS, RD, CDN, to share one of her video tips for kids. She is the author of Nutrition at Your Fingertips which just came out in November 2009 and is a “Go-to guide” according to More magazine. Her channel on YouTube has lots of great videos on nutrition tips for both adults and kids; check it out!
Elisa earned a bachelor of arts in psychology from the University of Pennsylvania and a master of science in clinical nutrition from New York University.
Here are few tips from this video to help you make healthy choices for your kids when eating out.
- Keep portion size small – limit sodium, fat, saturated fat and cholesterol
- Emphasize fruits and vegetables
- Lean meats, chicken without breading and unfried
- Share “grown up” food – lead by example and pick healthy choices
- Soups and salads may be a hit with kids – give ’em a try
- Look up calorie information if available – 400- 500 calorie for a little kid is perfectly fine
Enjoy and eat healthy!
©2010 Littlestomaks.com. All Rights Reserved
Disclaimer – Information provided in Ask The Expert column on Littlestomaks.com is intended to give you general guidance on a question related to toddler nutrition. It is not meant to be treated as medical advice. You are welcome to contact this expert for a detailed consultation on your specific situation to determine what actions, if any, you should take regarding nutrition and health of your toddlers. We do not recommend you to take any action based solely on the information presented in this column. Experts have agreed to provide their professional opinion on toddler nutrition related questions on a voluntary basis and no compensation is offered to them by Littlestomaks.com.