We have recently become fans of quinoa, which we call the unrecognized superfood because of its exceptional nutritional value and because not many people know about it. That is why we were pleasantly surprised to find a pasta made from quinoa flour on a recent trip to our local Publix supermarket. We bought the shell pasta to try with our twins and it went really well! They loved the cooked pasta shells with a layer of shredded cheddar on top.
Here is what we like about this product –
- Made with a mix of quinoa and non-GMO corn flour
- Looks and tastes like regular pasta
- Rich in iron, thiamin (vitmain B1) and riboflavin (vitamin B2). Unlike regular pasta these are not added vitamins
- Gluten free, non GMO
- No saturated fat or trans fat, no cholesterol, no added sugar
- 4 g fiber, 4 g protein per serving
- Quinoa is a low glycemic index grain and it contains many amino acids (building blocks of proteins)
Here is what we don’t like about this product –
- Adding corn flour, while necessary to make the shape, diminishes quinoa’s value. Serving size is 57 g; if it were all quinoa, you would get a lot more protein, fiber, vitamins and nutrients.
Overall, we are giving it a thumbs up. I think this is a great idea!
Disclaimer – I have not received any sponsorship or free samples of product from Ancient Harvest Quinoa for writing this review. For complete nutritional information and other products, visit Quinoa Corporation.