This is a great recipe for a wholesome hot soup on a cold fall day! We stumbled on it in Recipes from the Heart, a cookbook we recently purchased to support the Operation STEM-ulus from the U.S. Foodservice to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to needy families. We adapted it slightly to match the ingredients at hand.
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into cubes (we bought it from Costco)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or crushed in a food processor
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- Chopped parsley or cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pure honey
- Unsalted cashews
- Place squash cubes on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, slightly greased with olive oil
- Roast in oven at 350 °F for about 45 minutes, remove in a glass container when done and allow to cool
- Add olive oil to a large pan and saute onions over low heat until softened
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Skip the salt if chicken broth has high salt
- Add roasted squash and flour, mix well
- Add chicken broth, mix well gently pressing the squash cubes
- Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for 20 – 30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Puree the mixture with an immersion blender or a standard blender until smooth
- Add milk and honey and let it simmer some more until desired consistency is reached. Add hot water if necessary
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and unsalted cashews and serve hot!
About butternut squash
Butternut squash is a type of winter squash with a sweet, nutty taste similar to a pumpkin. It has a very high nutritious value – rich in dietary fiber, A, B and C vitamins, and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Roasting is a common way of preparing butternut squash for soups and desserts.
A word of caution – some people may get contact dermatitis when handling butternut squash skin. Wear rubber or latex gloves while cutting or peeling. The allergic reaction is usually temporary and can be treated by over the counter cortisone cream.