The inspiration for this recipe came from the March 2009 issue of Family Fun magazine. We tried it over the weekend with minor changes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 medium size zucchini, peeled cut into small pieces
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup diced red or green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute onions in a large frying pan over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in the garlic and saute a few more minutes. Add the meat, curry powder, salt and pepper to the mix and continue to saute until the meat loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, red (or green) pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste and corn kernels. Cook covered on low heat for another 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat and let it sit covered for another 5 minutes. Serve over Basmati rice or angel hair pasta.