- 1 eggplant cut lengthwise into thin, small slices
- 1/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely or crushed in a food processor
- 3 medium tomato, finely chopped or crushed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- pinch of salt, black pepper, oregano, dry mint, cumin
Saute onions in about 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and spices, mix well and saute until it turns light brown. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and mix well. Set aside.
Pan fry eggplant slices in olive oil until they turns soft. Spread the beef mixture on top of the eggplant slices in a thin layer. Cover and cook on low heat another 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked. Garnish with chopped cilantro.